- Which devices will the app work with?
- Which version of WordPress does the app work with?
- How do I get started with the WordPress app?
- How do I create a page?
- How do I create a post?
- How do I add a menu?
- Navigating the app
Which devices will the app work with?
While there are suggested minimum hardware requirements, there really isn’t a hard and fast rule about that on Android and the reason behind it is because different devices can behave and be optimized differently.
That said, we would suggest devices that run Android version 5.0 (Lollypop) or higher. You can verify your device’s Android version in the device’s Settings.
The WordPress app works with any device that is running iOS version 13 or greater.
Which version of WordPress does the app work with?
We make sure the app works with the current and two previous versions of WordPress. Earlier versions are not supported, but most features may still work.
How do I get started with the WordPress app?
Do you have a self-hosted WordPress site, or a WordPress.com site?
If you have a self-hosted WordPress site
To sign in to a self-hosted WordPress site, please open the app and tap on Enter your existing site address.
You can then login with your username and password, the ones you used to log when using a computer browser on WP Admin (e.g. https://yourgroovysite.com/wp-admin).
If you are already logged into a site in the app and you want to add another self-hosted site, go to My Site, tap the arrow beside the site address and click on the + button, then select the link to Add self-hosted site. For this option, enter the URL of your self-hosted WordPress site, followed by your username and password associated with that site.
If you have a WordPress.com site
You should see the Log in or sign up with WordPress.com button. Tap that.
On the next screen, you’ll see a space to enter your email address. You’ll want to enter the email address associated with your WordPress.com account, then tap Continue (note: since this is a WordPress.com site, it’s important to use your WordPress.com credentials and not your site address)
On the next screen, you’ll have an option to add your password, reset your password if you can’t remember it, or be sent a magic link. Then tap Continue.
(Optional) if you have Two-Step Authentication enabled on your WordPress.com account, the system will have already sent a verification mode to your authenticator or mobile number. You’ll need to enter it on this screen. If you do not have access to your 2FA device, let us know.
Once you tap Continue, you’ll see a screen that shows you your username and some of your sites. Then tap Done, and you’re successfully logged in!
If you don’t have a site or account
If you don’t have a site, you can use the link at the bottom of the login screen to register a new WordPress.com account and website. (If you don’t see the links, try hiding your keyboard.)
Then you can add your email, and if the email is not associated with any account it will create a brand new one. If it is, it will ask you for the password so you can log in
You can also sign up in a web browser here: https://wordpress.com/start. Then, you can log in to your new account on the login screen in the app.
Can I add multiple sites?
If you have multiple WordPress.com sites under one account, they will all show once you log into the app using your WordPress.com credentials (username or email address associated with your account and your password).
To add self-hosted sites, once logged in with one site, select the My Site tab at the bottom left corner of the screen and click the arrow beside your site address.
From there, select the + icon and you will see the option to Create WordPress.com site or to Add self-hosted site.
The Add self-hosted site option will request your username, password (the ones you use to log into the wp-admin area) and site address (starting with http://).
How do I create a page?
Pages are static. That means that the information displayed on a page doesn’t change, or doesn’t change often. A great example of a page would be the ‘About’ or ‘Contact Us’ section of a website.
To view your site’s pages, tap on Site Pages. On this screen, you will see four tabs:
- Published: pages that are visible on your site.
- Drafts: pages you’re still working on that haven’t been published yet.
- Scheduled: pages you have set to be published at a future time. Here’s how.
- Trashed: pages you have deleted. They can be restored from the trash for 30 days. After that, they are permanently deleted.
Here’s how to create a page on both Android and iOS devices. You have two options:
You can either select the Site Pages tab in the Dashboard, and then the blue Add new icon in the bottom right corner.
Or you can tap the blue Add new icon directly from your dashboard.
If you choose to tap the blue icon from the dashboard, you then have the option to select if you want to add a new Post, Page or Story
How do I create a post?
So what’s a post? Posts are what make your blog a blog — they’re servings of content that are listed in reverse chronological order on your blog’s front page. You can read more about that on https://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/
Create a post using your mobile device, and let us know who you are and what you think the pros and cons of mobile blogging are.
If you are stuck on what to write, feel free to consider these questions:
- Why are you drawn to mobile blogging?
- Is this a new experience for you?
- What do you hope to learn from it?
Here’s how to create a post on both Android and iOS devices. You have two options:
You can either select the Blog Posts tab in the Dashboard and then the blue Add new icon in the bottom right corner.
Or you can tap the blue Add new icon directly from your dashboard.
If you choose to tap the blue icon from the dashboard you have then the option to select if you want to add a new Post, Page or Story
How do I add a menu?
A menu is a list of links pointing to important areas of a website. Menus give your site structure and help visitors find what they’re looking for.
To add your site’s pages to a menu, follow these steps:
Create a Menu
- On the Android app, go to Themes → Customize → Menus. On the iOS app, go to Menus.
- If your theme already has a default/primary menu, you can click on it to begin editing on the Android app. On the iOS app, click on the available menus under USES to find the default/primary menu.
- If your theme does not already have a default or primary menu, click Create New Menu on the Android app. On the iOS app, click on the available menus, then click + Add new menu.
- Give your menu a name.
- Select where you want the menu to appear. Your menu location/area options will depend on your theme.
To add pages you have published:
- Click the + Add Items button on the Android app. On the iOS app, click on the + icon, then + Add menu item.
- Select one of the pages displayed to add a link to that page to the menu.
- Repeat this to add more pages to your custom menu.
- Save your changes.
Navigating the app
- Access your WordPress.com account settings, app settings and reach out to support by tapping on your profile image in the top right corner.
- Upload a Site Icon by tapping on the default icon to the left of your Site Title. A Site Icon is a unique icon for your website. It is shown across WordPress.com, and in your visitor’s browser tab.
- Tap your Site Title to change the name of your site. The Site Title is displayed in the title bar of a web browser and is displayed in the header for most themes.
- To view your site, tap your site address.
- Tap the arrow beside the site address to choose a different site to manage, or to add a new site to your app.
- Tap the blue Add new icon to create either a page, story post, or blog post.